Sunday, August 3, 2008

"Oil is necessary and seductive and also dangerous" ! oh my!

I've always been totally intrigued by the colors in oil -unfortunately it means horrible things are happening- aughhh




I've always been totally intrigued by the colors in oil -unfortunately it means horrible things are happening!


a cool interview with an artist who uses actual oil in her art:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/01/AR2008080100220.html

some excerpts:

When you visit, what do you see if you can't get very close?

I wanted to know what the area smelled like. I want[ed] to know what the sky colors were. Previous cities I've visited with refineries, it's gray there every day. Yorktown had areas that were gray right around the refinery, but then the sky broke through blue.

But you can see when you go in the water around there [that] the water just isn't right. The colors are neon. There are people fishing in it, boating in it, and they have that marina right there. I wouldn't go swimming in it.

This [show] is putting the conversation out there. I am not protesting. That's why Western Refining will provide images, but there's an oil slick in the center of the room. It's that give-and-take -- get both groups of people in here, and we can discuss it.

and my new favorite word ever: BLOBJECTS

No comments: